Chunks of zucchini and fresh carrots accompany plump, cheese-filled tortellini in this easy-to-prepare soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups (1/2 of 20 oz. pkg.) refrigerated cheese-filled tortellini
- 1 package (10 oz.) MorningStar Farms® Meal Starters® Chik’n Strips
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- Finely shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. In Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in thyme, fennel and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes more or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato paste.
2. Stir broth and undrained tomatoes into onion mixture. Bring to boiling. Add tortellini. Return to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 7 to 9 minutes or until tortellini is nearly tender.
3. Stir MORNINGSTAR FARMS® MEAL STARTERS® Chik’n Strips and zucchini into tomato mixture. Return to simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Ladle into serving bowls. Top with Parmesan cheese (if desired).