Honey-Baked Stuffed Apple Wedges
These savory stuffed apples make a great a great brunch or appetizer. Serve 2 wedges per person for breakfast or allow 1 wedge per person for an appetizer.
- 2 large baking apples (about 3 1/4- to 3 1/2-inches diameter)
- 2/3 cup apple juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 MorningStar Farms® Veggie Sausage and Grain Breakfast Patties
- 3/4 cup coarsely crumbled vegan corn bread (about 3 1/2 x 2 x 1 1/2-inch rectangle)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup (1 oz.) crumbled blue cheese (optional)
1. Halve apples. Use melon baller or spoon to scoop out apple cores, making about 1 1/2-inch cavity in each apple half.
2. In 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish place apples, cut sides up. Pour 1/3 cup of the apple juice around apples. Tightly cover with foil. Bake, covered, at 350° F for 30 to 35 minutes or until nearly tender. Remove from oven. Uncover.
3. Meanwhile, in medium microwave-safe bowl place the remaining 1/3 cup apple juice. Microwave at high for 30 seconds or until warm. Stir in flax seeds. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. On microwave-safe plate place MORNINGSTAR FARMS® Veggie Sausage and Grain Breakfast Patties. Microwave at high for 15 to 20 seconds or until thawed. Cut into small pieces.
4. Add patty pieces, corn bread, onions, sage and pepper to flax seed mixture. Toss to combine. Mound on top of warm apple halves.
5. Drizzle apples with 2 tablespoons of the honey. Bake, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes more or until apples are tender and stuffing is heated through. Carefully cut each apple portion in half, making 8 wedges. Arrange on serving plates. Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons honey. Sprinkle with blue cheese, if desired. Serve warm.