Cuban Black Bean and Sausage Soup Recipe
The flavors of Cuba abound in this veggie soup recipe made with Morningstar Farms® Hot & Spicy Veggie Sausage Patties, black beans, tomatoes and fennel.
- 1 cup onion,
- 1 cup carrot,
- 4 cloves garlic,
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,
- 2 cans (15 ounce each) black beans,
- 2 cups chicken broth,
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounce) tomatoes,
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves,
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 MorningStar Farms® Hot & Spicy Sausage Patties
- 1 cup roma tomatoes (optional),
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
1. In nonstick Dutch oven cook onion, carrot and garlic in oil over medium heat until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in fennel seeds. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until fennel is fragrant.
2. Stir in beans, broth, undrained tomatoes, oregano and red pepper. Bring to boiling. add frozen MORNINGSTAR FARMS HOT & SPICY VEGGIE SAUSAGE PATTIES, pushing patties down into soup. Return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover. With spoon break up sausage patties. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more.
3. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle roma tomatoes (if desired) on each serving. Spoon dollop of yogurt (if desired) on each.