Southwestern Roll Recipe| MorningStar Farms®
Baked phyllo dough gives a crisp texture to these rolls filled with brown rice, Cotija cheese, corn, tomatoes and MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™. Serve them topped with a dollop of sour cream.
Prep Time: 35 min
Total Time: 60 min
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 package (12 oz.)
MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 3/4 cup chopped and seeded tomato
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled Cotija cheese or queso fresco cheese
- 16 sheets (14 x 9-inch rectangles) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- Chopped and seeded tomato (optional)
1. In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Stir in onions and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Stir in MORNINGSTAR FARMS CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN CRUMBLES and water. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, for 2 to 4 minutes more or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Uncover. Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in rice, corn, tomato and chili powder. Stir in cheese.
3. Unroll phyllo dough. Remove one sheet of phyllo dough. Place on a flat surface. (Cover remaining phyllo dough with plastic wrap to prevent drying out.) Lightly coat phyllo sheet with cooking spray. Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top of the first sheet. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Repeat with two more sheets to make a stack of four total sheets. Cut phyllo stack in half crosswise to make two stacks, each measuring about 9 x 7-inches.
4. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the crumbles mixture along one long side of each phyllo stack, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of space on each end. Fold ends (short sides) up and over filling. Starting with long side, completely enclose filling by rolling phyllo around filling. Place, seam side down, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining filling and phyllo. Lightly coat tops of rolls with additional cooking spray. Bake at 400° F for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Diagonally cut each roll in half. Serve with sour cream and tomatoes.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/