Vegan Sausage Quiche
Fresh spinach and bell pepper impart a garden-fresh flavor to this vegan quiche.
Prep Time: 35 min
Total Time: 70 min
- 1 vegan pastry for 9-inch pie or frozen 9-inch vegan pie pastry, thawed
MorningStar Farms®Veggie Sausage and Grain Breakfast Patties, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1 package (14 oz.) extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/3 cup plain soy milk or plain almond milk
- 1/4 cup garlic hummus
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Thinly sliced tomato (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Fit pastry into 9-inch quiche dish or pie plate. Flute edges, if desired. Do not prick. Line pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° F for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375° F.
2. In large skillet prepare MORNINGSTAR FARMS Veggie Sausage and Grain Breakfast Patties according to package directions. Remove from skillet. Cut into bite size pieces. Set aside. Carefully wipe out skillet with paper towels.
3. In the same skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and bell pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach. Cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes more or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Set aside.
4. Press tofu between several thicknesses of paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Crumble tofu into food processor bowl. Add soy milk, hummus, turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon basil, salt and cayenne pepper to tofu. Cover and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of food processor bowl, as necessary. Stir into vegetable mixture in skillet. Crumble 3 of the breakfast patties into mixture. Mix well.
5. Pour tofu mixture into partially-baked pastry. Bake, uncovered, at 375° F for 35 to 45 minutes or until top of quiche is brown. Let stand for 10 minutes. Crumble the 1 remaining breakfast patty on top of quiche. Garnish with tomato slices and fresh basil leaves (if desired). Cut into six wedges to serve.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/