With mild heat and an earthy, sweet flavor, this vegetarian tortilla soup recipe is certain to be a crowd pleaser.
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 6 white corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 carton (32 oz., 4 cups) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chile peppers
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.) (optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped (optional)
1. Spread tortilla strips on baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Lightly coat strips with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400° F for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp, stirring every 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or very large saucepan cook onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, undrained chile peppers, corn and celery. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in MORNINGSTAR FARMS Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles. Return to boiling.
4. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with tortilla strips. Top with cheese and avocado (if desired).
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/