Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Butternut Relish
Sweet, golden butter squash teams with lush, buttery avocado in the relish topping these spicy veggie burgers.
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 5 ounces butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 Morningstar Farms® Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped and seeded, fresh jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 (7-inch) whole wheat pita rounds, halved
- 1 cup torn mixed spring greens
1. In small bowl toss together squash, 1 teaspoon of the oil and garlic. In 11 x 7 x 1 1/2-inch baking pan arrange squash mixture in single layer. Bake, uncovered, at 400° F for 13 to 18 minutes or until tender, stirring every 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Let stand for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook MORNINGSTAR FARMS Spicy Black Bean Veggie Burgers according to package directions.
3. In small bowl toss together avocado, onion, lime juice, jalapeño pepper, the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and cumin. Stir in squash and cilantro.
4. To serve place greens, burgers and squash mixture in pita halves.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/