Serve this warm flatbread, topped with MorningStar Farms® Original Sausage Patties, fresh rosemary, caramelized onion and Parmesan cheese, as open-face sandwiches or appetizers at your next party.
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 35 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium Spanish onion or yellow onion, thinly sliced (2 cups total)
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
MorningStar Farms®Original Sausage Patties
- 1 portion (1 lb.) frozen pizza dough, thawed, or fresh pizza dough
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or coarse sea salt
- 1 small Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup microgreens or baby greens
1. In large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add onion and sugar, stirring to coat. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Uncover. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 20 minutes more or until onion begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, on microwave-safe plate place MORNINGSTAR FARMS Original Sausage Patties. Microwave at high about 1 minute or until thawed. Cut into quarters.
3. Divide pizza dough in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into 10 x 5-inch rectangle. Transfer rectangles to lightly greased baking sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between rectangles.
4. In small bowl stir together the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic. Brush over dough rectangles. Lightly sprinkle with rosemary and salt. Top with onion, patty pieces and tomato. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into 6 slices to serve. Top each slice with some of the greens.
NOTE: For easy onion slicing, use mandolin.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/