French Onion Burger with Fennel Marmalade
The sweet and savory combination of onions cooked in balsamic vinegar and brown sugar makes a tasty burger topping. Inspired by a recipe created by Bev Jones.
Prep Time: 55 min
Total Time: 55 min
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced (3 cups total)
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh fennel bulb
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
MorningStar Farms® Grillers Prime®Veggie Burgers
- 4 slices Monterey Jack pepper cheese (3 oz. total)
- 4 ciabatta rolls, split
- 4 teaspoons olive oil or melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
1. In large nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions and fresh fennel. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid. Cook for 15 to 25 minutes more or until onions brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar and fennel seeds. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes more or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove from heat. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
2. Prepare MORNINGSTAR FARMS GRILLERS PRIME Veggie Burgers according to package directions. Melt cheese slices on top of burgers.
3. In small bowl stir together 4 teaspoons olive oil and garlic powder. Brush on cut sides of rolls. Broil 4- to 5-inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Top roll bottoms with lettuce leaves and cheese-topped burgers. Spoon onion mixture on top. Add roll tops.