Macaroni and Cheese with Veggie Bacon Recipe
For a milder flavored casserole, substitute American cheese for the cheddar cheese.
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 45 min
- 8 slices MorningStar Farms® Veggie Bacon Strips
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half or milk
- 6 ounces American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook MORNINGSTAR FARMS Veggie Bacon Strips according to package directions. Set two slices aside. Break remaining bacon strips into bite-size pieces. Set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain well. Set aside.
2. In medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour, pepper and mustard. Stir in half-and-half. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in American and Cheddar cheeses until melted. Add macaroni and bacon pieces; mix well.
Spoon into ungreased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.
3. In small bowl crumble reserved bacon strips. Stir in parsley, if desired. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 350°F about 20 minutes or until bubbling around edges. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/