Sweet ‘n’ Sour Steak
Longing for a one-bowl dinner filled with the flavors of summer? Try this simple one-dish dinner made from barbecue sauced MorningStar Farms® Steak Strips, fresh or frozen mango chunks and pineapple chunks served over brown rice.
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 25 min
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup apricot or peach all-fruit spread
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 package (10 oz.)
MorningStar Farms® Meal Starters®Steak Strips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango or papaya chunks
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
1. In small bowl stir together barbecue sauce, fruit spread and lemon juice. Set aside.
2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook and stir about 4 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add MORNINGSTAR FARMS MEAL STARTERS Steak Strips and water. Cover and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove lid. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes more or until steak strips are heated through.
3. Stir barbecue sauce mixture, mango and pineapple into steak strips mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
4. Divide rice among 4 serving bowls. Top with steak strips mixture.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/