These gyros are inspired by the cuisine of Greece, where yogurt, mint, cucumber, garlic and lemon are popular ingredients. Try these sandwiches when you yearn for a Mediterranean entrée.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 to 8 thin slices tomato
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz.)
- 4 Morningstar Farms® Mediterranean Chickpea Burger
1. Use knife to open each pita half into pocket. Set aside. In small bowl stir together yogurt, mint, 1 teaspoon of the oil and salt. Stir in cucumber. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Cut MORNINGSTAR FARMS Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
3. In large nonstick skillet cook onion and garlic in the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in marjoram, rosemary and pepper. Add burger pieces and lemon juice. Cook and gently stir over medium-high for 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
4. Place 1 to 2 tomato slices in each pita pocket, if desired. Spoon burger mixture into pockets. Top with feta cheese. Serve immediately with yogurt mixture as dipping sauce.
1. Joyce, A. et al. (2012) Reducing the Environmental Impact of Dietary Choice: Perspectives from a Behavioural and Social Change Approach. [Online] Journal of Environmental adn Public Health. 2012. Available at: http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jeph/2012/978672/