These gyros are inspired by the cuisine of Greece, where yogurt, mint, cucumber, garlic and lemon are popular ingredients. Try these sandwiches when you yearn for a Mediterranean entrée.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 thin slices tomato (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz.)
1. Use knife to open each pita half into pocket. Set aside. In small bowl stir together yogurt, mint, 1 teaspoon of the oil and salt. Stir in cucumber. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. In large nonstick skillet cook onion and garlic in the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in marjoram, rosemary and pepper. Add MORNINGSTAR FARMS Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
3. Place 1 tomato slice in each pita pocket (if desired). Spoon filling into pockets. Top with feta cheese. Serve immediately with yogurt mixture as dipping sauce.