These gyros are inspired by the cuisine of Greece, where yogurt, mint, cucumber, garlic and lemon are popular ingredients. Try these sandwiches when you yearn for a Mediterranean entrée.
Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters Grillers® Recipe Crumbles™
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 thin slices tomato (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz.)
1. Use knife to open each pita half into pocket. Set aside. In small bowl stir together yogurt, mint, 1 teaspoon of the oil and salt. Stir in cucumber. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. In large nonstick skillet cook onion and garlic in the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in marjoram, rosemary and pepper. Add MORNINGSTAR FARMS Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
3. Place 1 tomato slice in each pita pocket (if desired). Spoon filling into pockets. Top with feta cheese. Serve immediately with yogurt mixture as dipping sauce.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/