Black Bean and Rainbow Chard Tacos
Rainbow chard comes in a variety of colors including red, pink, orange or purple. Pick out the one that looks best in your market. Or, if rainbow chard is not available, red chard works well in this recipe, too. Mild in flavor, the chard is complemented by Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™ and Monterey Jack cheese in these tacos.
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 30 min
- 1/2 package MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™ (6 oz.)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 pound rainbow or red chard, stems and leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (7-inch) whole grain tortillas
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. In large skillet combine MORNINGSTAR FARMS CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN CRUMBLES and water. Cook, covered, over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, about 4 minutes more or until hot, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet. Cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, cut chard stems into 1/2-inch pieces. Tear chard leaves into 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces.
3. In same large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chard stems. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes or until stems are crisp-tender. Stir in chard leaves, bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 4 minutes more or until leaves are wilted. Remove from heat.
4. Arrange tortillas in single layer on large baking sheet. Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes.
5. Turn tortillas over. Sprinkle cheese on tortillas. Top with crumbles and chard mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese melts. Serve with yogurt (if desired) and cilantro (if desired).
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/