Mushroom Pepper Burgers
Mounds of fresh vegetables are simmered in vegetable broth before they are stacked in sandwich-thin-buns along with cheese slices and Morningstar Farms® Garden Veggie Patties™. This recipe is inspired by a recipe created by Mary Bilyeu to cheer on her favorite baseball team.
Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 30 min
Morningstar Farms® Garden Veggie Patties™
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (about 2 oz.)
- 1/2 medium orange bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 whole wheat sandwich thins, split
- 4 slices American cheese or cheddar cheese (3 oz. total)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese salad dressing
1. Prepare the MORNINGSTAR FARMS GARDEN VEGGIE PATTIES according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan combine vegetable broth and garlic. Add mushrooms, bell pepper and onion. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove lid. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened and liquid has evaporated.
3. Top bottoms of sandwich thins with cheese slices. Place warm burger on each. Top with vegetable mixture. Spoon salad dressing on each. Place sandwich thins top on each. Press each sandwich lightly together. Place on baking sheet. Bake, covered with foil, at 350° F about 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Serve immediately.
ENOUGH WATER TO FILL THE
That’s how much we’d save if the
average US city ate one meal with veggie protein instead of meat, just once a week.
Kunzig, R. (2014). Carnivore's Dilemma. [Online] National Geographic. Available at: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/meat/