Mediterranean Sandwiches with Tzatziki Sauce
If your local deli doesn’t sell tzatziki sauce, you can make your own. Just see the recipe note below for directions to make this refreshing yogurt, cucumber and dill sauce. It’s the perfect complement to the chickpea burgers tucked into whole wheat pita pockets.
- 2 MorningStar Farms® Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers
- 2/3 cup deli tzatziki sauce*
- 1 (7-inch) whole wheat pita bread round, halved and warmed
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 1 large Roma tomato, thinly sliced (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced cucumber or 4 thin rings red bell pepper
1. Prepare MORNINGSTAR FARMS Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers according to package directions. Cut in half.
2. Meanwhile spread tzatziki sauce inside of pita pockets. Place lettuce, burger pieces, tomato and cucumber in pockets. Serve immediately.
*NOTE: You may substitute a homemade tzatziki sauce for the purchased one. Coarsely shred 1/3 cup of English cucumber. Place between a double thickness of paper towels. Press to remove excess moisture. In small bowl stir together cucumber, 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons chopped red onion, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed and 1/8 teaspoon salt.