Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™ Meatballs by Chef Holzman
Recipe adapted from Chef Holzman, Chef/Owner of The Meatball Shop.
- Veggie Balls
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (12 oz.) MorningStar Farms® Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles™
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 8 tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth or unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- 1 canned chipotle pepper, stem and seeds removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (2 oz.)
1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet cook chopped onion, carrots, celery, oregano and garlic in 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of the oil over medium-high heat about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
2. Stir in black beans, MORNINGSTAR FARMS CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN CRUMBLES and tomato paste. Cook for 3 minutes more, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in mushrooms. Cook for 15 minutes more or until mushrooms are very tender, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet. Stand at room temperature about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
4. Meanwhile, in large bowl stir together eggs, 1/2 cup cilantro, bread crumbs and pumpkin seeds. Add vegetable mixture. Use hands to mix thoroughly.
5. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish. Use hands to firmly shape vegetable mixture into twenty-four 1 3/4-inch balls. Place vegetable balls in prepared baking dish, lining balls up evenly in rows. Bake at 400° F about 30 minutes or until firm and heated through. Cool for 5 minutes. Remove from baking dish.
6. Meanwhile, wash tomatillos under cool water until they are no longer sticky. Cut into quarters. Place in large saucepan. Add broth, quartered onion, chipotle pepper, 1/4 cup cilantro and sugar. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Transfer mixture, half at a time, to blender or food processor container. Cover and process until smooth.
7. Serve warm veggie balls topped with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.